If you think finding your new home was tough, wait till you actually have to move. Moving is a whole other process, with tasks having sub-tasks, and checklists having their own checklists. Basically, it’s time, and often money consuming, even if you decide to DIY. If you are wondering when to start packing to move house, here is a schedule for you to follow. This will help you stay organized and avoid being overwhelmed.
When to Start Packing to Move House
That said, if you’re hoping to have an organized beginning and end, without losing anything midway, it’s best to start packing early. Give yourself at least one and a half or two months for the whole thing. Here’s a calendar you can follow, so you’ll have everything sufficiently organized before the big day.
Six Weeks Before Moving Day
Start grouping your belongings into different piles – those you wish to donate, those you’ll sell, those that will be making the move (the bare minimum only) and trash. Note that you’re not necessarily packing them into boxes yet, just organizing.
Four Weeks Till Moving Day
- Do a yard sale. The point is, now’s the time to get rid of the items you grouped for sale. Whatever you can’t sell should be donated, so bare in mind that donation should be done after the sale.
- Buy packing supplies – label makers, cardboard etc.
- Start packing your things when the packing supplies arrive. You’re still one month away, so pack only the most irrelevant stuffs, like holiday decorations and stuffs you’ve had in storage forever. Label, take photos, and keep a good inventory of everything you’re moving.
Two Weeks Till Moving Day
- Start packing items you don’t consider essential for your day to day use. Things like extra pots, fine china, seasonal clothes and shoes. If you don’t see yourself using it the following day, then pack it up.
- Gather all your important documents now. Everything from bills, insurance documents to bank statements. Keep these in a secure box. The last thing you want is to become a victim of identity theft simply because of a carelessly thrown document.
One Week Before Moving Day
- Shrink your non-essential items even more. Wash the clothes you had on last week and pack them up.
- Build a “day of box“, which will contain everything you need till you move. It should contain essential stuff. If you usually buy foodstuff in bulk, package most of it, and only leave out what you’ll need.
Day Before Moving
- Empty your freezer, throw away perishable items like tomatoes and parsley (unless your moving van can transport them).
- Keep your “day of box” with you, plus some cash, your jewelry and your credit cards.
Knowing when to start packing to move house is important because it helps prevent a last minute rush. This schedule helps ensure you remain organized throughout the packing process, and avoid misplacing any items. It also provides the opportunity for you to clean out your home and donate/sell any items you no longer are in need of.