Moving makes one of the most challenging processes that are often inevitable in one’s life. Even people who are ever on the road due to work and other reasons never get used to the process. Fortunately, there are effective moving tips and hacks you can employ whether you are a first-time mover or not and make the whole process more seamless and efficient.
Moving Tips and Hacks
Firstly, you should break down the whole moving process into the critical sections. These are:
- Preparing for the move
- Packing your items
- The actual moving
- Unpacking in your new home.
Here is what you should do under each part.
Proper preparation allows you to cover all the crucial aspects of your move and makes the rest of the process smooth. During preparation, observe the following;
- Set a budget to know how much you should expect to spend. A budget prevents you from spending more than is necessary or falling short of the budget needed for essentials.
- Inform utility companies of your moving as soon as you have the new address. Informing the providers early helps you not forget it when you are bogged down with other details of the move, especially packing and unpacking.
- Plan and get all the supplies you need for packing to set you up comfortably for the packing and reduce the need of having to run to the store while packing.
- Find a professional mover early enough to give you time to vet them and plan for any special items you will be moving.
- Arrange for any donations you will be giving and take advantage of existing institutions and charities to do them for you. This is a good opportunity to declutter your new home.
- Avoid being wasteful with food donating all unopened food material and consuming much of the food in your house by the time you move.
- Instead of emptying drawers to pack different items in boxes, leave the objects inside and wrap the drawers in plastic. If the dresser is not heavy, you can wrap it instead with everything intact.
- Spare yourself time and energy when packing and unpacking by leaving cloth items on their hangers. Group them and wrap them in a garbage box or use a wardrobe box.
- Save space and increase security by putting small kitchen gadgets in pots and other sealable containers instead of getting small boxes. For sharp objects like knives and fragile items like glasses, use towels to provide cushioning.
- Save time labeling the boxes by instead assigning specific color stickers for each room. You can also take a photo of each box before it is closed to give you an idea of what is in there.
- Take advantage of your suitcases to move heavy items that cannot be easily carried in boxes like books or serving dishes. The wheels on suitcases make it easy to move around such heavy loads.
- Have a small duffle bag or backpack which will hold your essentials that you may need while on the journey or immediately you get to your new place.
The day of moving is usually the most tiring and one which everything can get frantic. To reduce confusion and chaos, here is what to do.
- Ensure you are packed up before the day of the move. It allows you to focus on loading and moving entirely and gives you time to attend to any outstanding issue. Punctuality also makes the whole process much faster.
- Have a plan for your kids and pets. Preferably, have them spend that day with friends or family to spare them the stress and hassle and also ensure your attention is not split and keep them safe.
- Carry a cooler with you in your car so that you can always stay hydrated and have enough snacks to keep your strength the whole day.
- Once the moving has been done, unpacking becomes the tedious and tiring task. To avoid the temptation of procrastination, set a deadline and on that day have friends over for drinks or a housewarming party to ensure you are motivated to unpack.
- Start with the kitchen first because it is the most demanding area and with most items.
- Start with the significant items and pace yourself not to do everything at once since it will only tire you and discourage you.
- Get rid of the boxes as you empty items from them to give you a sense of progress and accomplishment. It also frees up space in the rooms.
Moving does not need to be such a hectic and stressful process. With the above moving tips and hacks and a positive outlook, you can make it all a breeze with little if any hiccups along the way.