So, you’ve just found a new house and you’re excited. After a few days, you suddenly have this endless to-do list that keeps growing. Once the exciting part ends comes the hard work. However, you don’t have to worry as there are plenty of tips on how to move to a new house.
How to Move to a New House
This post highlights a few tips for moving into a new house. The article also includes a handy checklist as well as suggestions for things to buy for a new house.
Tips for Moving into a New House
- First things first, you need a moving organizer or notebook to help you stay organized. This is where you will store all your estimates, notes, receipts, etc. Next up, it’s time to find a moving company you can trust. Seek recommendations, do your research and ask friends and family. You can also check your local moving association.
- Ask for a written estimate and request an onsite visit.
- You’ll also have to decide what you’re taking with and items you need to dispose of.
- As you begin packing, start with items you rarely use. If it’s winter, for example, pack your summer clothes.
- Don’t forget to separate your valuables. If possible, you’ll want to move your own valuables (important files, heirlooms, jewelry, house closing papers, etc.) in your own vehicle. If you have valuables that are too large for your car or for some reason simply must move with the moving company, they may require additional insurance.
- Labeling your items is one of the best ways to make your move simple and stress-free. Come up with a labeling system and make a list of each box’s contents to make it easier for you to unpack.
- Right before moving, take your car to the mechanic. The last thing you want is a broken-down car on the highway.
Moving into a New House Checklist
6-8 Weeks Before
- Find reputable movers
- Set aside your moving expenses
- Purchase moving supplies (cushion foam, permanent markers, moving boxes, bubble wrap, packing tape, etc.)
- Check the home inspection and arrange for any improvements, repairs or tasks such as painting, fixing the ceiling, refinishing hardwood floors) to your new home.
- If you’re moving in winter or fall, have the chimney swept.
4 Weeks Before
- Start packing
- Get rid of items you don’t need
- Set aside your valuables
When You Have A Move-In Date
- Alert major accounts to your change of address
- Switch your utilities
- Set up your forwarding address at the post office
- Book a deep cleaning
- Request your moving days off from work
- Start emptying the fridge and freezer
- Take measurements to ensure your furniture will fit in your new premises
1-2 Weeks Before
- Confirm with the movers
- Pack your moving day bag or suitcase (toothbrushes, change of clothes, underwear, pajamas, etc.)
- Finish packing everything except last-minute items
- Refill prescriptions
A Few Days Before
- Confirm details with your mover
- Arrange payment for the mover
- Verify and sign the bill of lading/inventory list
- Tip your movers (usually 10-15% of the total job)
With these tips on how to move to a new house, your move should be relatively stress-free. There are also several things you need to do immediately after you move such as changing the locks and reprogramming garage door openers among other things. Ultimately, it comes down to preparing well in advance.